2.23.2010

Getting back in the groove

I'm starting get back in the swing of things with running: I've pretty much stuck to my schedule for the past week, and now that we are getting rain for the next four days all the snow and ice are melting away. On top of that, the sun is starting to rise earlier, so much that Monday morning the sun has almost mad it over the horizon by the time I finished my run.

If this training cycle has taught me anything it is that I really do not like running in the cold. It's cumbersome to deal with all the clothing. It's uncomfortable to breathe and move when it is sub-freezing. It's dangerous to run when there is snow and ice on the ground.

I feel like I can't run as fast because I don't want to get any colder. And I really hate being sweaty in the cold. Even thinking about all this makes me unhappy--it's like the hardest form of mental cross training you can imagine.
It was nice last year when my only outdoor run was on the weekend, because then I only had to deal with this once a week and I got to at least run during daylight hours. I think I have learned my lesson and will definitely be joining a gym for next winter. The trade off there will be having to do my weekday runs on a dreadmill. Yikes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Winter running sucks no matter how you slice it. Either on treadmill or outside. It is completely unavoidable though if you're planning a spring half/full marathon. I'm hoping the weather warms up soon because this winter has been especially brutal!

Psyche said...

Yes! More Gym Carnies. YAY!!! I agree w/ the whole winter running thing. This year is the absolute worst, too.

Have a great weekend- glad you're baaaack...