1.06.2008

WTF?

The doctor yesterday scared the bejesus out of me--as I guess is her job. As expected she told me to rest and to get an MRI (which means going to an orthopedic first). She said that if I kept on running I'd eventually tear the ligament, and to me (and hopefully all will agree) tearing anything inside your body is bad.

So I'm scared now about Austin. Essentially there is no way to run the race and even in my blind courage yesterday ("I will run-walk, crawl, shuffle, and/or hobble my way to the finish line, damn it") I didn't take into consideration that walking a Half-Marathon will just not feel right. Rather, it won't feel like a race and I'd always had an asterisk by it in my head. So I reached out to the race organizers and asked about deferring my entry. Hopefully there will be some way to recoup my entry fee. Unfortunately, at this point, I can't cancel the trip altogether because we bailed on our Texas friend last year when I scrapped Austin in 07 and I don't have the heart to bail on her again at the last minute.

Of course, this also jepardizes the rest of my running for 2008.

To make matters worse, I've gotten a cold. I could only sleep four hours last night and when I woke up this morning I was just a stuffy nosed, popped ears mess. I'm trying to make my way over to the gym to bike my way out of this rut, but just found out yesterday that we have friends in town this weekend...which means very little time to go to the gym.

Grrrrr and double grrrr. I could really use some good news right now.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Hey man, hang in there! You haven't had any definitive results yet from an MRI. It still may not be anything serious - but if they offer, take the bionic knee.

I'm pulling some good news yet. BTW, have you ever taken a look at a book called Chi Running? I know of someone who had some knee pain and swears this book helped him overcome it.