5.12.2010

Music for Wilmington

Even though I put less and less importance on music these days, I still went through the hours long process of creating a custom playlist for the Marathon this weekend (exciting!).  Although I tend to turn off my iPod for large chucks of the race I've learn that I really appreciate a well crafted playlist.  I can just tell when the songs have been ordered to play well together vs. dumping a bunch of random songs on Lenny and switching to shuffle.

Below is the playlist in all its glory.  I went through my now usual process, as described here.

  • Proud Mary; Tina Turner (I can't throw this tradition--every race starts with this song)
  • You're The First, The Last, My Everything; Barry White (before you say "WTF?" give the song a listen, it's a great slow start)
  • Katherine Kiss Me; Franz Ferdinand
  • Dance, Dance, Dance; Lykke Li (an odd choice I'll admit, but I'm testing it out anyway)
  • I'll Be There; Jackson 5 (another "WTF?" moment, but this choice is more about what the song means to me than the song tempo)
  • If Work Permits; The Format
  • Stuttering; Ben's Brother
  • Be the One; The Ting Tings
  • Ulysses; Franz Ferdinand
  • Everybody's changing; Keane (Keane is one of my favorite bands, but I have trouble running to their music.  I'm giving them another shot this Sunday.)
  • Bulletproof; La Roux
  • Two Doors Down; Mystery Jets (one of the best hooks ever--so friggin catchy)
  • Party All the Time; Black Eyed Peas (I have to admit, having BEP on my playlist makes me feel a little bit like a tool, but you can resist the ear candy)
  • Breaking It Up; Lykke Li
  • Young Love; Mystery Jets
  • California Bound; Carolina Liar
  • Fruit Machine; The Ting Tings
  • My Heart Is Breaking Down; Caesars
  • Spaceman; The Killers
  • The Dynamo of Volition; Jason Mraz
  • Uprising; Muse
  • Photobooth; Friendly Fires
  • That's Not My Name; The Ting Tings (I hated this song the first time I heard it, but ever since it has grown on me uncontrollably)
  • Lisztomania; Phoenix (I will have you know that I owned this album before this band was big, I feel that gives me some kind of musical creds)
  • Meet Me Halfway; Black Eyed Peas (once again, not proud, but can't help it)
  • Blinded By the Light; Menfred Mann's Earth Band
  • Homewrecker; Hellogoodbye
  • Home; Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros (my current musical obsession; love this song)
  • Wait Til You See My Smile; Alicia Keys (this song makes me really happy)
  • I'm Not Over; Carolina Liar (amazing power song)
  • Resistance; Muse
  • Make It Mine; Jason Mraz
  • Grace Kelly; Mika
  • Evacuate; The Boxer Rebellion
  • Kids; MGMT (I'm super late on buying this song--it's been on my wish list for months--but for some reason couldn't give into social pressure to buy it until last week)
  • The Middle; Jimmy Wat World
  • Spotlight (Twilight Remix); Mute Math (yes, it's from the Twilight soundtrack, don't judge--it was Wifey's purchase)
  • Amame; Juanes
  • Barracuda; Heart
  • Santo Santo; Gloria Estefan
  • Viva la Vida; Coldplay
  • A Little Less Conversation (JXL Radio Edit Remix); Elvis Presley (the king's first appearance in my music collection and a running playlist...might not be the last)
  • Read Between the Lines; KSM
  • Show Me What I'm Looking for; Carolina Liar
  • All Time Lows; Hellogoodbye
  • Always Where I Need to Be; The Kooks
  • Beat It; Fall Out Boy (I have the MJ version, but this one is so much better)
  • Are You Gonna Be My Girl; Jet
  • Any Way You Want It; Journey (yes it's Journey and it's not the last Journey song on here)
  • Animal; Neon Trees
  • Stronger; Kayne West
  • Reptilla; The Strokes
  • I Gotta Feeling; Black Eyed Peas (Jesus, the grammar in the title isn't even right, but I can't resist)
  • 25 Miles; Edwin Starr
  • Don't Stop Believin'; Journey (guilty pleasure at the end)
  • Time Like These; Foo Fighters
  • Move Along; The All-American Rejects

No comments: