7.21.2008

Ultimate pain weekend

People, it hurts. It all hurts.
  • I got sunburned. Saturday we went to the beach with a couple of friends. My sunburn from Independence Day weekend had soothed away and most of the peeling had subsided--which I took as a clear sign that I could go back to the beach and be fine. Wrong. Even though I applied generous amounts of sunblock before even going outside I still managed to not only get sunburned on my shoulders and stomach again, but it appears that since my skin hasn't fully recovered it has turned an alarming shade of red in those areas.

  • I got stung by a jellyfish. While at the beach getting said sunburn, we went in the water. And what was in the water? Jellyfish. But I didn't need to go in the water to see that: the carcasses of dead jellyfish lined the entire beach, and momma always said "when there's dead jellyfish on the sand, there's live jellyfish in the water." Ok, momma didn't always say that--but I'm sure she thought it once or twice and meant to tell me. But amazingly the water was also full of people, so I thought that maybe they were the non-stinging variety. Also wrong. Every time I came out of the water some part of my body would sting for a couple minutes before gradually fading away.

  • I ate really hot Thai food. The menu said that drunken chicken was only two stars. One star = mild spicy. Two stars = medium spicy. Three stars = hot spicy. Oh Jesus, medium spicy is not medium. Medium spicy is opening the front door to hell hot. I was sweating out of every gland on my body. I went through two napkins just in padding down the sweat from my face. So good, but so spicy.

  • I saw "Be Kind, Rewind." Why do I keep on watching Jack Black movies?

  • I was running afire. Running in July is just asking for pain. It's hot, it's humid, and there isn't a cloud to be found. Now compound this with the sunburn from above and you have a catch-22. While I was running, the wind blew my body's heat away from my sunburned (and super-senisitive to heat) skin. However, I was getting fatigued faster because of the high temps and high humidity. But if I did stop, the heat emitting from my body wasn't being away and would set my skin on fire. So I didn't want to keep on running, but I couldn't stop.

  • I chafed my man-parts. Oh yes, I did--even sRod Jr. got caught up in the painfest. I was wearing new shorts and I noticed they were a bit snug when I put them on before the run. Nothing was uncomfortable, just not as loose as usual. Since I had never worn this brand before (Insport) and they were my usual size, I just figured that was how they were supposed to fit. I mean who's ever heard of shorts running small? Anywho, I proceed to stuff the shorts pocket with my phone (in it's plastic baggie) and a bag of Clif Bloks--which only serves to make the shorts feel more snug. I don't notice anything unusual until I hit the shower after the run. At which point I let out a scream like a Catholic school girl and shouted some words that a Catholic school girl should not know. It felt the same way that my nipples feel when I forget to put Body Glide on--ouch! Could you imagine if I was running for more than 12 miles? What if this was a 20 miler? Oh Jesus. Let's not think about that.

I think I'm done. This is enough pain to merit the hair on my chest. Now to go lube up in aloe vera.

13 comments:

Viv said...

Ouch man hope you heal from your weekend soon.
This gave me chills... carcasses of dead jellyfish

Jess said...

That is a whole world of pain!

Laura said...

That is quite a lot of pain! Hope you're feeling a bit better now.

Marcy said...

Dang homes, I'm going to have to mail you Mr McG's Supa Dupa SPF 28193178346183 LOL (that man is literally a redneck)

You just can't catch a break in the pain dept. Hopefully you start feeling on the ups.

FLYERS26 said...

I feel your pain, brother!
Sunburn is bad enough, let alone the other parts, and a jelly fish sting..
Keep the faith!

Nitmos said...

I also sat through Be Kind recently. Ugh. I think that may be the worst part of your weekend. The other stuff will heal but the emotional scars, man, that is the worst.

The Laminator said...

Ouch, ouch, and more ouch! I'm sure you're in all kinds of hurt right now. Recover well, my friend.

Kevin said...

Owie!! Talk about a whole lotta pain!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That sounds rough. An ENTIRE Jack Black movie? My condolences.

RunToTheFinish said...

A lot of very hot things happening there... strange and I really hope the rest of your week is much better!

Unknown said...

Oh man, that sucks!!! You must have looked like a lobster! That's no fun !!! Whenever I go for my run or go to the beach, I use Banana Boat Sports 50 SPF. The nicest thing is that you just spray on it. Easy does it !!! This way, you won't look like a lobster.

J said...

This was pretty funny. Spicy food is good for you! Revs up your metabolism, helps your immune system, cleans out your stomach linings.... LOL! Keep at it. You will get used to it one day!

Nancy said...

Holy crap. That's a lot of pain. Ewwww.


Hope you are better by now?