10.28.2008

First day back

After an awesome performance at the Breakers Marathon I treated myself to as much chocolate, sugar-laden baked goods as I could find last week. Oh and did I find them. Between leftover lunches at work to cupcakes from a pumpkin carving party, I downed enough baked goodness to last me for a good couple months.

I also treated myself to a full week without a single workout and let myself sleep in everyday. This one kind of backfired because I still woke up automatically at 5:30 anyway AND I didn't end up stretching for a whole week. Now my left knee feels funny--tight IT band type of funny--and I have a nagging burden on my conscience about not recovering well.

So now that all that is done I'm heading back to the gym. Today I did weights for the first time since June. It's only been 15 hours, but I feel the soreness setting in. Tomorrow is going to hurt. Good news is that tomorrow will also be my first run since the Marathon and I'm looking forward to it, even if I won't be training for a race. Too bad it will have to be on the treadmill (it's dipping below freezing at night around here!).

6 comments:

J said...

Egads! Try the roller on your IT band if your gym has one. It's painful but effective.

Laura said...

I've been dreading running since my Sunday marathon... hope yours goes well!

Jess said...

Hope your return to running goes well today!

KimsRunning said...

I have an IT band injury. I pray that is not what you are feeling. I just down graded my Space Coast Full to the half. Very bummed, but I can't run even 40 feet. How can I expect to run 26.2 in 4 weeks??? I can only hope to run 13.1. I hope you just have a lil twinge that goes away.

Steve Stenzel said...

Mmm... sweets, sleeping in, and no workouts!

You've got my number!

Good luck with the knee!

RunToTheFinish said...

strange how the feat of accomplishment leaves us with the need to eat yumminess for weeks afterwards...or ok fine I love them all the time.